FAO National Specialist Jobs 2023 – Zambia NGO Jobs. FAO Zambia looking for “National Specialist“. Applicants with a degree in Masters Degree may apply on or before 29th April 2023.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger and improve nutrition and food security. Its Latin motto, fiat panis, translates to “let there be bread”. It was founded in October 1945.
The FAO has published a job vacancy announcement on 14th April 2023 for qualified Zambians to fill in the vacant post of National Specialist to be based in Lusaka, Zambia.
FAO Job Vacancy 2023
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the preparation of country strategies and program for the management of high impact emerging and re-emerging zoonotic and non-zoonotic diseases in line with the identified national priorities and FAO’s Strategic Framework
- Participate in and support the design and implementation of national strategies and programs/projects following EMPRES/ECTAD strategies, in line with the FAO/ OIE Global Framework for the Progressive Control of TADs and Regional priorities,
- Support the design, coordination, and implementation of surveillance activities relevant to emerging and re-emerging zoonotic and non-zoonotic diseases as well as AMR to mitigate the high (current/potential) impact of diseases in Zambia. These include:
- Supporting appropriate stakeholder training, workshops and facilitate discussion and development of a relevant and appropriate surveillance approach that addresses national and regional priority diseases to target through a surveillance that addresses national and regional priority diseases to target through a surveillance program.
- Support the drafting of a concept notes, LoA, preparation, and implementation of national surveillance plan for priority zoonotic and emerging zoonotic diseases (PZDs) in livestock.
- Contribute to development and the implementation of surveillance protocols (epidemiological sampling) from livestock in targeted livestock farming systems, value chains and at domestic animals-wildlife-human interfaces.
- Support and strengthen a functional national and sub-national epidemiology and laboratory networks.
- Plan, organize and implement capacity development of in-service professionals through the use of field epidemiology training and participatory epidemiology approaches targeting veterinarians, animal health technicians, community animal health workers, farmers, and where appropriate, public health or other relevant stakeholders/partner
- In close consultation with relevant sectors and stakeholders, facilitate the adoption and roll-out of In-service Applied Veterinary (ISAVET) as an entry point to strengthen the animal health workforce at national and sub-national levels
- Assist in the organization of planned training workshops, simulation exercise and technical meetings
- Conduct risk assessments at the human/livestock/wildlife interface and participate to in-country expert missions on epidemio-surveillance..Contribute to development and implementation of AMR surveillance protocols from livestock in priority livestock value chains.
- Participate in animal health emergency preparedness and contingency planning exercises, or tabletop scenarios.
- Facilitate the process for the formulation and /revision of animal health control and / OH strategies in Zambia
- Prepare regular epidemiological updates and timely situation reports on major diseases in the country
- In close consultation with relevant sectors and stakeholders, initiate a national zoonotic disease control program to serve as an One Health collaboration.
- Facilitate closer linkages of the FAO component of the GHS program and other country office programs with relevant Ministries and other technical partners
- Provide immediate notification to the ECTAD Zambia Team Leader and GLEWS of any significant epidemiological events and contribute to epidemiological intelligence at National and Regional levels
- Contribute to the preparation of regular reports on the progress of the implementation of projects implemented by ECTAD Zambia for FAO, donors or other stakeholders.
- Contribute to resource mobilization efforts through developing project concept notes and proposals that aim to mitigate the impacts of emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases (rEIDs), non-zoonotic diseases and AMR.
- Perform other duties as required.
Position in Organization:
- National Specialist – Epidemiologist
- Job Posting: 14/Apr/2023
- Closure Date: 29/Apr/2023, 3:29:00 AM
- Organizational Unit: FRZAM
- Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
- Type of Requisition: NPP (National Project Personnel)
- Grade Level: N/A
- Primary Location: Zambia-Lusaka
- Duration: 6 months with possibility of extension
- Post Number: N/A
Qualification & Experience:
- Master’s degree in the Veterinary Epidemiology
- Five years of relevant experience including data analysis, research and policy analysis and stakeholder engagements is cardinal.
How to Apply FAO National Specialist Jobs 2023
Note: Before you apply, please download (link is given below) the full advertisement and read it carefully.
Then to apply, go to https://jobs.fao.org/careersection/fao_external/jobdetail.ftl?job=2301096
The Closing Date: 29th April 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.