IOM Field Security Officer Jobs 2023 – Ethiopia NGO Jobs.
IOM Ethiopia looking for “Field Security Officer”.
Applicants with a University Degree may apply on or before November 29, 2023.
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. With 174 member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The IOM has published a job vacancy announcement on November 17, 2023 for qualified Ethiopia’s to fill in the vacant post of Field Security Officer to be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
IOM Job Vacancy 2023
Core Functions/ Responsibilities:
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with security officials of other UNSMS organizations, government counterparts and partner security services, country United Nations Department Safety and Security (UNDSS) office and all appropriate Security Focal Points, in order to obtain up-to-date security-related information that is beneficial to the Country Office.
- Provide accurate and up-to-date assessments of the security situation in the Country Office and provide advice and recommendations to the Chief of Mission on how to prevent and mitigate against identified threats and risks.
- Develop, implement, and regularly test a functioning warden system. Warden testing methods should include multiple systems, including SCAAN.
- In coordination with the RSO, Chief of Mission, prepare Country-specific training activities, seminars, briefings, coordinate staff participation, and ensure that security training is carried out professionally within IOM and UNSMS learning/training standards.
- Provide security briefings for IOM personnel deployed to and travelling within Ethiopia and its area of operations and coordinate all travel security requirements for the Country Office relating to all IOM operations, including assessments of road, air and river transport networks, medical evacuations and international staff travel within and from/to Ethiopia.
- In coordination with the RSO, regularly review and monitor compliance on the UN Security Risk Management Measures (SRMM) and Residential Security Measures (RSM). This includes proactively participating in the Security Cell Meetings and actively providing guidance to the Chief of Mission on issues raised in the SMT, ensuring that IOM-specific operational requirements are considered for implementation of security measures and that a people-centred
- approach is mainstreamed in security risk management.
- Acquire comprehensive operational understanding of IOM programmes in the Ethiopia and its area of operations and provide recommendation, including Security Risk assessments in areas where IOM works or is planning to deploy its teams.
- Support the Chief of Mission by providing security-related inputs into the Country Office’s Business Continuity Plan, proactively advising the Chief of Mission in its regular testing.
- In coordination with the RSO, develop, implement, and test Country Office-specific security plans.
- Supervise Field Security Officer, National Field Security Officers and Field Security in country office and sub offices to ensure that the appropriate level of security is provided to IOM personnel.
- Closely monitor and report on deployment numbers (staff ceilings) established for the mission/s by the UN Designated Official (DO) during emergencies, in coordination with the Security Management Team (SMT) and UNDSS, ensuring that security clearance procedures are applied fairly, vis-à-vis all of the agencies working under the UNDSS Security Management System.
- Test the functionally and implementation of IOM-specific emergency communications systems, including SCAAN to ensure they are functional, effective and address the programme requirements of the Country Office. This includes actively checking the SCAAN dashboard and posting relevant security advisories in a timely manner.
- Report security matters that have a potential or direct impact on IOM operations immediately to the Chief of Mission and the RSO.
- In coordination with the Chief of Mission and the RSO, conduct preliminary enquiries in respect to any security breaches/incidents in the Country Office, working closely with local authorities in efforts to ensure IOM personnel, its assets and interests are protected and appropriate and corrective measure taken.
- Perform such other duties as maybe assigned.
Position in Organization:
- Position Title: Field Security Officer
- Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
- Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
- Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Closing Date: 29 November 2023
- Master’s degree in Security Management, Business Administration, Political/Social Science, Psychology, Criminal Justice, Law, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or,
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- UNDSS certification to any of the following: Security Certification Programme (SCP), Security Analysis Practice and Process (SAPP), Hostage Incident Management (HIM), Trainer Development and Certification Course (TDC) and Safe and Secure Approaches in Field Environments (SSAFE) is desirable.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in international relations, disarmament affairs, conflict resolution, crime or terrorism prevention, security, risk, disaster, or crisis/emergency management and preparedness in the public or private service areas, responsible for responding to emergency situations that may directly impact security is desirable;
- Experience in planning, design, implementation or review of risk mitigation measures related to operations impacted by insecurity is desirable;
- International experience is desirable.
- IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish. All staff members are required to be fluent in one of the three languages.
- For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, and Spanish) is desirable.
- Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments
How to Apply IOM Field Security Officer Jobs 2023
Note: Before you apply, please download (link is given below) the full advertisement and read it carefully.
The Closing Date: November 29, 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.