OHCHR National Human Rights Expert Jobs 2023 – Ethiopia NGO Jobs. OHCHR Ethiopia looking for “National Human Rights Expert“. Applicants with a degree in MA Degree may apply on or before 28th April 2023.
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, commonly known as the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) or the United Nations Human Rights Office, is a department of the Secretariat of the United Nations that works to promote and protect human rights that are guaranteed under international law and stipulated in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights of 1948. The office was established by the United Nations General Assembly on 20 December 1993 in the wake of the 1993 World Conference on Human Rights.
The OHCHR has published a job vacancy announcement on 13th April 2023 for qualified Ethiopians to fill in the vacant post of National Human Rights Expert to be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
OHCHR Job Vacancy 2023
Scope Of The Work: Under the guidance of the Director/Regional Representative and supervision from the Senior Human Rights Officer or delegated authority, the incumbent will perform the following tasks:
- Draft analytical and summary documents on human rights and protection issues from various sources (e.g., protection clusters, DRMO, Humanitarian partners, communications, publications, press).
- Coordinate the provision of advice for national laws to comply with international standards.
- Coordinate activities and interventions to maintain awareness of existing human rights and protection issues in the various area’s regions of interests.
- Draft strategy documents to address issues following review of the human rights, humanitarian and protection issues in various regions including gender dimensions,
- Compile monitoring reports about human rights and protection issues, humanitarian concerns, refugees’ issues, and other related human rights concerns in Ethiopia.
- Prepare compiled reports on investigations, prosecutions, and trials of human rights violations before various jurisdictions.
- Prepare substance presentations for capacity building and technical assistance to local authorities, CSOs in close collaboration with relevant OHCHR – EARO staff.
- Coordinate, with field staff, engagements/exchanges with relevant regional authorities and other influential actors with the aim of preventing or remedying human rights violations and or improving the human rights and humanitarian issues.
- Participate in human rights training programmes for law enforcement officials, representatives of civil society and human rights non-governmental organizations with the aim of strengthening national capacities, including the strengthening of the Rule of Law services.
- Promote initiatives aimed at mobilizing communities and helping people to assert their rights.
- Prepare plans for establishing networks for the protection of victims and witnesses upon identification of protection and assistance needs for victims and witnesses of human rights violations.
- Coordinate liaison with the Government, NGOs, civil society organizations, UN agencies and other partners to build a baseline database on the human rights situation and protection issues, with particular attention to vulnerable groups.
- Ensure the regular update of the Human Rights Database.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Position in Organization:
- National Human Rights Expert
- Job Identification: 9917
- Locations: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Posting Date: 04/13/2023, 02:28 PM
- Apply Before: 04/28/2023, 09:29 AM
- Job Schedule: Full time
- Agency: Office High Comm for Human Rig
- Grade: SB5
- Vacancy Type: Service Contract Holders
- Practice Area: Rule of Law, Security and Human Rights
- Bureau: Regional Bureau for Africa
- Contract Duration: 1 Year with Possibility for extension
- Education & Work Experience: Bachelor’s Degree
- Other Criteria: 8 Years of working experience
- Required Languages: English
- Desired Languages: A good knowledge of the local language of the location of interest is desirable.
- Vacancy Timeline: 2 Weeks
Qualification & Experience:
- MA/MSC., degree in a relevant field, preferably in human rights, humanitarian law, law, political science, international relations or other disciplines relevant to human rights.
- At least 6 years of progressively responsible work experience in human rights, international humanitarian law, humanitarian and legal matters. But a minimum of 8 years of working experience with a first degree would be considered.
- Human Rights related experience within the United Nations and or related human rights and humanitarian institutions is an advantage.
- Experience in monitoring and reporting, support of national human rights institution/s, in human rights and or development organisations is desirable. Field experience in a community setting is an asset.
How to Apply OHCHR National Human Rights Expert Jobs 2023
Note: Before you apply, please download (link is given below) the full advertisement and read it carefully.
Then to apply, go to https://estm.fa.em2.oraclecloud.com/hcmUI/CandidateExperience/en/sites/CX_1/requisitions/job/9917
The Closing Date: 28th April 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.