UNDP Engineer Jobs 2023 – Ethiopia NGO Jobs.
UNDP Ethiopia looking for “Engineer”.
Applicants with a University Degree may apply on or before December 02, 2023.
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is a United Nations agency tasked with helping countries eliminate poverty and achieve sustainable economic growth and human development. The UNDP emphasizes developing local capacity towards long-term self-sufficiency and prosperity. Based at United Nations Headquarters in New York City, it is the largest UN development aid agency, with offices in 177 countries. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states.
The UNDP has published a job vacancy announcement on November 20, 2023 for qualified Ethiopia’s to fill in the vacant post of Engineer to be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
UNDP Job Vacancy 2023
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of Operations and in close collaboration with the Head of Programme, the Civil Engineer will perform the following functions in peace support targeted locations:
Undertake rapid needs assessments and identification of priority infrastructure for rehabilitation in selected peace support locations.
- Conduct timely and rapid needs assessments and cost estimates related to existing infrastructure damaged by the conflict in stabilization targeted locations.
- Based on the results of the needs assessment and in consultation with regional and Woreda government authorities, prioritize infrastructure rehabilitation works based on the existing budget and foreseen impact on reestablishment of government presence and public service delivery.
- Ensure peace support essentials of speed and scale are properly integrated into the infrastructure rehabilitation plans from the works identification phase throughout the procurement, implementation/execution, and completion/handover phases.
- In coordination with the Peace Support Specialist and in consultation with the regional/Woreda government, review infrastructure rehabilitation that have been prioritized.
- In coordination with the Peace Support Specialist, and in consultation with the local government representative, propose labor intensive infrastructure rehabilitation works through local-scale contractors that have the potential to generate income for returnees and conflict-affected populations living in the peace support target locations.
- Ensure the integration of “building back better and do-no harm” approach where and when possible and the principles of conflict sensitivity, human rights protection, and gender inclusion in all proposed projects.
- Improve the physical environment during infrastructure rehabilitation by providing easy and smooth access and mobility to people with special needs and removing physical barriers (e.g. steps and curbs that block a person with mobility impairment from entering a building or using a sidewalk)
- Recommending, Adapting and installing renewable technologies (e.g. solar-powered electricity in street lighting and facilities) if it aligns with the Government plans.
- Provide technical inputs to strengthen alignment and complementarity of UNDP’s infrastructure rehabilitation with the local government’s policies and plans.
Formulate technical/bidding documents for identified infrastructures in Peace support programms.
- On request of Government in procurement support – Develop scope of work (SoW), terms of references (ToRs), technical specifications, bill of quantities (BOQ), and other bidding documents related to infrastructure rehabilitation works and submit to procurement office for processing.
- Ensure formal national engineering standards/national building codes and requirements are respected when available. If not applicable, rely on International Standards Organization (ISO) for civil engineering works and International Labor Organization (ILO) guidelines.
- Review/Coordinate with the Government that ensure all national and local appropriate authorizations and permits for infrastructure rehabilitation works are received prior to the implementation phase.
- If directed by the Peace Support Office to Review all BOQs or the specifications provided by the Government or other UNDP engineers and ensure completeness in all respect to align with international standards.
- Where and when needed, arrange and attend pre-bid meetings/sites visits and provide technical clarifications to potential bidders on the proposed infrastructure rehabilitation works.
- Lead on the technical evaluation process for received bids and provide technical input to the procurement office throughout the bidding and evaluation processes..
Position in Organization:
- Job Identification: 14750
- Locations: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Posting Date: 17/11/2023, 15:44
- Apply Before: 02/12/2023, 10:29
- Job Schedule: Full time
- Agency: UNDP
- Grade: NPSA-10
- Vacancy Type: National Personnel Service Agreement
- Practice Area: Conflict Prevention, Peacebuilding and Responsive Institutions
- Bureau: Regional Bureau for Africa
- Contract Duration: 1 Year
- Vacancy Timeline: 2 Weeks
- A master’s degree or equivalent in Civil Engineering/ Construction/Project Management
- A first-level university degree in combination with an additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Project Management Certification (PMP or Prince 2) is an added advantage.
- Registration with professional entities (professional license).
- Certification in Procurement (CIPS level 3 minimum) is an advantage.
- Minimum five years (With Master’s) or seven years (With Bachelor’s) of experience working as a civil engineer, preferably in a post conflict context, or in an emergency or recovery context.
- Advanced knowledge of computers, Microsoft packages, AutoCAD, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Experience in the design, preparation of BoQ, technical specifications and cost estimates for civil works rehabilitation including buildings, utility services, schools, clinics, water and electricity etc.
- Knowledge of international standards, specifically for civil works related to buildings.
- Experience in handling UN tender documents for contracts, including inputs/specifications for the procurement of services using the conditions as per international standards.
- Proficiency in English, both spoken and written and knowledge of the local language of the duty station.
How to Apply UNDP Engineer Jobs 2023
Note: Before you apply, please download (link is given below) the full advertisement and read it carefully.
The Closing Date: December 02, 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.