World Bank South Africa looking for “Senior Energy Economist”.
Applicants with a Postgraduate may apply on or before 08th December 2023.
The World Bank is an international financial institution that provides loans and grants to the governments of low- and middle-income countries for the purpose of pursuing capital projects. It comprises two institutions: the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), and the International Development Association (IDA). The World Bank is a component of the World Bank Group.
The World Bank has published a job vacancy announcement on 19th November 2023 for qualified South Africa’s to fill in the vacant post of Senior Energy Economist to be based in Pretoria, South Africa.
|Position||Senior Energy Economist|
|Location||Pretoria, South Africa|
|Total Vacant Post||N/A|
|Experience Required||Minimum 08 years|
|Application Deadline||08th December 2023|
Duties & Accountabilities
The Southern Africa energy unit (IAEE3) seeks a highly motivated Senior Energy Economist who, as part of the South Africa-based energy team, will contribute to the overall energy sector engagement in South Africa and the region of Southern Africa Power Pool (SAPP). The Senior Energy Economist will lead or co-lead the preparation and implementation of complex operations, the ongoing sector dialogue, and the extensive analytical work on the energy sector. The Southern Africa energy program is growing rapidly, with a critical focus on a just and low-carbon energy transition and regional integration.
Specific duties and responsibilities shall include:
- Lead or co-lead in the Bank’s policy dialogue, develop strong working relationships with the Government counterparts (e.g. Ministries responsible for energy, power utilities, electricity regulators etc.) to advance engagement on strategic energy issues in South Africa;
- Lead or co-lead energy sector strategy development and policy dialogue on just energy transition in South Africa and beyond;
- Working closely with energy colleagues in AFE, lead the development of new lending, preparation and supervision of investment operations in the energy sector with the aim to enhance quality, efficiency and pro-poor focus and accelerate implementation of the energy portfolio in South Africa and the Southern Africa region;
- Lead the preparation of analytical and advisory reports and studies on utility reform, transmission and distribution, renewable energy, climate change, energy efficiency, just energy transition and potentially other regional energy programs;
- Draft and provide timely contributions to project documents and follow-up of official missions, including the drafting of Aide Memoires, official correspondence, project completion reports, and other reports to management as needed;
- Lead the drafting and provide inputs for other sector and country analytical and advisory reports and studies, prepare briefings on sector and utility reform, transmission and distribution, renewable energy, climate change, just energy transition, energy efficiency, and other programs within the AFR Energy portfolio;
- Ensure adequate and appropriate integration of relevant aspects of the energy development agenda in core Bank products, including the country partnership framework, strategic country diagnostic, country economic memorandum etc.;
- Participate in the dialogue with relevant representatives of the private sector in order to keep abreast with issues related to the business investment climate and identify possible areas of collaboration through public-private-partnerships; and
- Develop strong working relationships with the staff of other donor and financing agencies at the country and regional levels and co-operate with them on alignment on strategic issues, preparation and supervision of projects.
- Postgraduate (Master’s or PhD) degree in energy economics/ energy finance/ energy planning, engineering, business administration, or equivalent areas relevant for energy sector development;
- At least 8 years of combined experience in the World Bank, other international institutions and/or companies, government agencies, and/or power sector utilities with demonstrated track record of successful engagement with relevant developmental programs and projects;
- Strong understanding of energy policies, technologies or strategies, private sector participation, sector and utility reform, and institutional development needed to support development and for the success of project and analytical work;
- Experience leading and/or playing key roles in policy dialogue with clients and stakeholders;
- Experience of designing and implementing energy and/or utility sector reforms, electricity market reforms, tariff and subsidy reforms, scaling up regional electricity trade, and energy transition issues;
- Experience in planning, designing, and implementing power infrastructure projects including renewable energy generation, transmission, distribution and improving commercial performance of utilities;
- Job #: req25144
- Sector: Energy
- Grade: GG
- Term Duration: 4 years 0 months
- Job Schedule: Full time
- Selection Process: Interview
- Salary: Negotiable
- Application Process: Online
How to Apply World Bank Senior Energy Economist Jobs 2023
Note: Before you apply, please download (link is given below) the full advertisement and read it carefully.
Then to apply, go to https://worldbankgroup.csod.com/ats/careersite………
The Closing Date: 08th December 2023
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.