ICRISAT Scientific Officer Jobs 2024 – Zimbabwe NGO Jobs.
ICRISAT Zimbabwe looking for “Scientific Officer”.
Applicants with a University Degree may apply on or before February 08, 2024.
The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in the drylands of Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi-arid or dryland tropics has over 2 billion people, and 644 million of these are the poorest of the poor. ICRISAT and its partners help empower these poor people to overcome poverty, hunger and a degraded environment through better agriculture.
The ICRISAT has published a job vacancy announcement on January 29, 2024 for qualified Zimbabwe’s to fill in the vacant post of Scientific Officer to be based in Harare, Zimbabwe.
ICRISAT Job Vacancy 2024
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Broadly implement and supervise research leading to increased smallholder farm level productivity, and sustainable natural resources management, including climate smart agricultural practices such as conservation agriculture, crop livestock integration promotion in the semi-arid areas of southern Africa. Specifically.
- To enhance targeted semi-arid Zimbabwe households and communities? capacities to access assets, resources, opportunities and choices for improved climate smart livelihoods and risk education strategies.
- To support research on climate smart programs so that targeted communities have increased absorptive capacity to manage economic, environmental and social shocks and stresses induced by climate change
- To support research and trainings for targeted communities to adapt to changing conditions by building resilient livelihoods and strategies to manage climate change shocks and stresses
- To Promote and upscaling appropriate crop and livestock technologies, including establishing integrated cropping system incorporating fodder, cash and nutritious crops
- Researching the contribution to resilience of adopted farming systems
- Developing and promoting strategies for scale up of water technologies in targeted communities
- Support the designing and organization of agronomic trials and surveys
- Lead the implementation of on-farm field experiments in soil fertility, and water management
- Collection of Field data and statistical analysis
- Training of extension staff and farmers on climate smart agricultural practices including conservation agriculture, microdosing, soil water management, agroforestry etc
- Working with and advising farmers on appropriate crop and livestock technologies through participatory studies
- Train and provide technical support to extension staff on improved soil and crop management options for dissemination to farmers
- Support documentation, report writing and presentation of results
Position in Organization:
- Position: Scientific Officer
- Location: Harare, Zimbabwe
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field such as Agronomy, Crop Science, Climate Change, or a related field
- At least 2 years of experience in the field of agriculture, climate change adaptation and/or crop/soil science
- Knowledge of climate change adaptation and mitigation strategies, including but not limited to: climate-smart agriculture, water resource management, disaster risk reduction, and climate change risk assessment
- Knowledge of the scientific principles and methods used in climate change adaptation and mitigation
- Demonstrated experience in developing and managing research projects related to climate change adaptation and mitigation
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Fluency in English, Shona and Ndebele
This is Contractual position initially for a period of three years (36 months)
How to Apply ICRISAT Scientific Officer Jobs 2024
Applicants should apply on or before 08 February 2024, with the latest Resume, and the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable about their professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates will be contacted