IOM Interpreter Jobs 2023 – South Africa NGO Jobs. IOM South Africa looking for “Interpreter“. Applicants with a Bachelor’s Degree may apply on or before 26th May 2023.
The International Organization for Migration is an intergovernmental organization that provides services and advice concerning migration to governments and migrants, including internally displaced persons, refugees, and migrant workers. In September 2016, IOM became a related organization of the United Nations.
The IOM has published a job vacancy announcement on 15th May 2023 for qualified South Africa’s to fill in the vacant post of Interpreter to be based in Pretoria, South Africa.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Support accurate communication in a common language during interviews and other meetings conducted in-person, by telephone, and/or by video conference by providing verbatim (word for word) interpretation services.
- Provide interpretation services in the preferred language of the beneficiaries without paraphrasing, summarizing, omitting or adding information; always use the first person (I, me and my) and remain engaged during the interpretation session.
- Maintain strict confidentiality during interpretation sessions and follow designated program procedures regarding the destruction or maintenance of written notes within the required timeframe (e.g. immediately after each interpretation session).
- Remain objective, unbiased, impartial and neutral when providing interpretation services. Treat all parties to the conversation with courtesy, dignity and respect, regardless of their age, ethnicity, religion, political opinion, sex characteristics, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, disability or any other factors.
- Have an appropriate understanding of and sensitivity towards cultural practices and language differences that may exist between the parties to the conversation. Respect the use of proper pronouns that are preferred by the beneficiaries, when applicable.
- Inform the Movement Operations Manager and/or Operations Assistant field support if you are having difficulty understanding a party to the conversation or if a beneficiary or any other individual offers a bribe, threatens you or tries to influence your interpretation. Immediately inform the [insert title of Direct Supervisor] if you know the beneficiary personally or if you have ever met the individual at any point in the past.
- Abide by IOM Standards of Conduct (IN/15), Policy and Procedures for Preventing and Responding to Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (IN/234), IOM Data Protection Principles (IN/138), Policy for a Respectful Working Environment (IN/90), and Fraud Awareness and Prevention Guidelines (IN/70).
- Participate in relevant training sessions on such topics as interpreting for international organizations, respectful terminology and the protection of program beneficiaries, and contribute to terminology lists as requested.
- Be available to be evaluated on the quality of your interpretation by a third party. 10. Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Interpretation, Literature, Linguistics, Social Science, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- Complete school diploma from an accredited institution with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Previous experience in interpretation.
- Experience working with vulnerable groups and providing humanitarian assistance.
- Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Discreet, patient and detail and client-oriented.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office; knowledge of SAP is a distinct advantage.
- Vacancy/Reference Number: CFCV#CO2023-01
- Job Schedule: Full time
- Selection Process: Interview
- Salary: Negotiable
- Application Process: Online
How to Apply IOM Interpreter Jobs 2023
If you are qualified for this position, please email the following to email@example.com under the REFERENCE: CFCV#CO2023/01 in the subject line of your email:
a. Letter of motivation
b. Up-to-date Resume/CV
c. Copy of ID/Passport
When you send your application, please specify the Vacancy reference number i.e. CFCV#CO2023/01 on the subject line of your email. It will be challenging to track your application without the reference code provided. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
Please send your applications by Friday, 26 May 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
View More Jobs
- TechnoServe Deputy Hub Manager Jobs 2023
- TechnoServe Business Advisor Jobs 2023
- World Bank Economist Jobs 2023
- ActionAid International Grants and Compliance Advisor Jobs 2023
- United Nations Secretariat National Information Officer Jobs 2023
- UNHCR Senior Supply Associate Jobs 2023
- WHO Epidemiologist and Disease Modelling Specialist Jobs 2023
- United Nations Secretariat Associate Public Information Officer Jobs 2023