UNOAU Gender Affairs Officer Jobs 2024 – Ethiopia NGO Jobs.
UNOAU Ethiopia looking for “Gender Affairs Officer”.
Applicants with a Bachelor’s Degree may apply on or before 09th February, 2024.
The United Nations Office to the African Union (UNOAU) was established on 1 July 2010 by UN General Assembly Resolution 64/288. The Office integrated three existing offices: Department of Political Affairs (DPA) Liaison Office, the Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) AU Peace Support Team and the Department of Field Support (DFS) Planning Team for Somalia to support the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM), as well as the support component of the United Nations and African Union Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) Joint Support Coordination Mechanism (JCM) office in Addis Ababa.
The UNOAU has published a job vacancy announcement on 29th January, 2024 for qualified Ethiopia’s to fill in the vacant post of Gender Affairs Officer to be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
UNOAU Job Vacancy 2024
Within delegated authority, the incumbent will perform the following tasks pertaining to three distinct, but interconnected portfolios. Time spent on each area is indicative:
- Provide advisory support to the AU, particularly in terms of best practices and lessons learned from the implementation of UN Security Council Resolutions on Women, Peace and Security, the DPO/DOS Policy on Gender Responsive United Nations Peacekeeping Operations and DPPA Gender/Women, Peace, and Security Policy and update DPPS WPS Policy (2023).
- Provide technical assistance to the AU on strategies for gender mainstreaming, including options to strengthen the capacity to perform gender analysis, design and implement gender- sensitive policies and programmes and the area of peace and security;
- Contribute to joint UN-AU efforts to advance women’s rights and enhance the role and participation of women in early warning, conflict prevention, mediation, peace negotiations, as well as post-conflict reconstruction and development;
- Support gender-related knowledge management and data collection within the AU and facilitate the exchange of information on gender policy between the UN and the AU;
- Collaborate with the AU and support the delivery of gender training to uniformed and civilian personnel and conduct orientation activities on gender mainstreaming as required by the AU.
- Provide operational support on gender and women, peace and security issues to the OSE- HoA team, including expanding the capacity for gender analysis; designing gender-sensitive strategies and action plans; and providing substantive and technical support on the women, peace and security related aspects of the mediation processes supported by OSE-HoA.
- Collaborate with local and international CSOs and NGOs working on women, peace and security agenda in the Horn of Africa.
- Maintain collaborative relations with the AU and IGAD and support their efforts to advance women’s participation in the peace processes in Sudan and South Sudan.
- Advise senior UNOAU and OSE-HoA leadership on strategies to ensure effective implementation of existing mandates and policies for the promotion of gender equality, women’s rights and prevention of sexual violence in all mandated tasks.
- Mainstream Gender Women Peace and Security in the design and implementation of action plans to translate existing mandates and policies on the promotion of gender equality in all activities of UNOAU and OSE-HoA;
- Build and maintain partnerships with other UN entities that have complementary mandates on gender and women, peace and security related issues, and participate in established inter- agency coordination mechanisms.
- Lead in the drafting of reporting obligations, documentation and good practices, the preparation of policy papers, and related submissions for UNOAU and OSE-HoA personnel on Gender, Women, Peace and Security, mainstreaming.
- Ensure that gender is mainstreamed throughout strategic planning processes and supports the results-based reporting processes for the regular budget, support account and XB funding.
- Support the delivery of gender training to UNOAU and OSE-HoA personnel.
- Ensure regular liaison, consultation and substantive reporting to the DPPA Gender, Peace and Security Unit and the DPO Gender Advisor at UN headquarters;
- Perform other duties as required.
Position in Organization:
- Position: Gender Affairs Officer
- Job Opening ID: 226749
- Job Network: Political, Peace and Humanitarian
- Job Family: Political Affairs
- Category and Level: Professional and Higher Categories, P-4
- Duty Station: ADDIS ABABA
- Department/Office: United Nations Office to the African Union
- Date Posted: Jan 27, 2024
- Deadline: Feb 9, 2024
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Gender Affairs, Political or Social Sciences, Human Rights Law, International Law, Development Studies, or a relevant discipline is required.
- A first-level degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in the specified fields of studies with two (2) additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible policy advice and programme management experience related to promotion of gender equality particularly with international organizations in conflict or post-conflict settings is required.
- Experience in successfully integrating gender perspectives into mainstream policies or programmes is required.
- Experience working in a United Nations common system field operation (inclusive of peacekeeping, political missions and UN agencies, funds, and programmes) – or similar international organization or non-governmental organization is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the advertised post, fluency in English, both oral and written is required; Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
How to Apply UNOAU Gender Affairs Officer Jobs 2024
Note: Before you apply, please download (link is given below) the full advertisement and read it carefully.
Then to apply, go to https://careers.un.org/jobSearchDescription/226749?language=en
The Closing Date: 09th February, 2024.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.