WHO Health and Climate Change Officer Jobs 2023 – Zimbabwe NGO Jobs.
WHO Zimbabwe looking for “Health and Climate Change Officer”.
Applicants with a University Degree may apply on or before December 22, 2023.
The World Health Organization is a specialized agency of the United Nations responsible for international public health. The WHO Constitution, which establishes the agency’s governing structure and principles, states its main objective as “the attainment by all peoples of the highest possible level of health”.
The WHO has published a job vacancy announcement on December 05, 2023 for qualified Zimbabwe’s to fill in the vacant post of Health and Climate Change Officer to be based in Harare, Zimbabwe.
WHO Job Vacancy 2023
The officer is expected to support the following;
- advocacy and partnerships: coordinating with partner agencies within the UN system, and ensuring that health is properly represented in the climate change agenda, as well as providing and disseminating information on the threats that climate change presents to human health and opportunities to promote health.
- monitoring science and evidence: coordinating reviews of the scientific evidence on the links between climate change and health; assessing the country’s preparedness and needs when facing climate change; and developing a research agenda;
- strengthening national capacities and improving the resilience and adaptive capacity of health systems to deal with the adverse health effects of climate change; and
- building capacity on climate change and human health: assisting the country to build capacity to reduce health vulnerability to climate change and promoting health.
Under the direct supervision of Healthier Populations Team Lead, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Coordinate the development of Policy and Standards on climate and health in Zimbabwe
- Intersectoral promotion on implementation of Solar for Health at institutions including health facilities
- Manage the routine updates and ensure the technical integrity of the tools and knowledge resources for climate change and health.
- Identify, drive research, and lead the development of recommendations on the evidence of health impacts of climate change and health, and on the effectiveness of interventions to address them.
- Oversee and manage updates of WHO databases on climate change and health related health policies and regulations and associated impacts on health.
- Organize and provide technical support to the country on matters related to climate change and health, including support for institutional capacity development and training activities.
- Represent the technical work of WHO in partnerships and initiatives on climate change and health.
- Contribute to other technical work in climate change and health as appropriate.
Position in Organization:
- Description of assignment title: Health and Climate Change Officer
- Host entity: WHO
- Assignment country: Zimbabwe
- Type: Onsite
- Expected start date: 01/04/2024
- Duration: 12 months (with possibility of extension)
- Sustainable Development Goal: 13. Climate action
- Number of assignments: 1
- Volunteer category: International UN Volunteer Specialist
- Duty stations: Harare
- Master degree or equivalent in Essential: Advanced level university degree in natural, environmental or social science.
- Desirable: Advanced university degree in public health, epidemiology and/or biostatistics.
- 3 years of experience in working on climate change and health issues
- – Extensive experience in the development and application of knowledge resources and tools to support policy or programmatic planning for climate change and health interventions.
- – Experience in organizing and facilitating national or subnational capacity-building workshops for policy or programme development on climate change and health.
- – Experience in the preparation of funding proposals and budgets for country or regional-level projects or activities.
- Experience in the development or supporting the implementation of WHO Guidelines for climate change and health.
- Experience in contributing and representing WHO or other UN organization in inter-agency and multi-sectoral co-operations.
- Experience working in the context of multi-stakeholder initiatives on climate change.
- Strong organization and project management skills
- Strong scientific research and writing skills.
- Ability to work harmoniously as a member of a team, adapt to diverse educational and cultural backgrounds and maintain a high standard of personal conduct.
- Good understanding of the role of WHO globally, regionally and at country level, including its supportive efforts with external partners.
- English, Level: Fluent, Required
Competencies and values
- Technical expertise
- Overall attitude at work
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
How to Apply WHO Health and Climate Change Officer Jobs 2023
Note: Before you apply, please download (link is given below) the full advertisement and read it carefully.
Then to apply, go to https://app.unv.org/opportunities/1741024977743104
The Closing Date: December 22, 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.